"I'm Leasey, What Would You Like to Do?"
Leasey© version 8, (which functions in conjunction with the JAWS for Windows screen-reader from Freedom Scientific), is the world’s first application ideal for people wishing to learn computing through to the power user. From everyday simple tasks such as writing a letter or Email, to tools for study or leisure reading, from searching for (and listening to) books, to hearing your favorite music or the radio, Leasey has a host of tools, utilities and services to offer the computer beginner to the advanced user. Every JAWS user should have Leasey!
Leasey uses mainstream applications, adapted to make them accessible for everyone, no matter your computing ability. You’re not restricted to using a specially designed interface, making it possible to use a computer belonging to family and friends. If your computer knowledge expands, you do not need an alternative technology product. Leasey is right with you, every step of the way!
What is Leasey Basic?
Have you just purchased your first computer and don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, computing doesn’t have to be complicated! Leasey makes it easy for new computer users to access (and work with) frequently used programs.
- Through a simple and easy-to-use menu system, with Leasey you can write documents, manage your Email, read your talking books, hear radio stations, talk to your friends on Skype, work with an address book, keep track of appointments, hear music files and CD’s, surf the web, tweet on Twitter, and much more! Leasey makes tasks simple!
- Now We’re Talking! Leasey’s female guidance voice is human and not synthetic. She is your friend and will talk you through the menus and give you help when you need it most, introducing you to synthetic speech gradually.
- I Need Some Help! No problem. Not sure what to do at any time? Help is always at hand. Press a keystroke and Leasey will tell you what to do next.
- One key to go forward, another to go back. When in a program, through her menu system Leasey will give you the options you are likely to need most. Press Enter to go into a menu, Escape to go back. In Leasey’s menus, when writing text, apply bold or underlining, Find and Replace, insert today’s date, and more. You can even create a letter with address templates. When composing Email, create or reply to a message, read it or send.
- Where do I Start! Leasey’s Getting Started audio DAISY guide teaches you how to use Leasey from the time you switch on your computer.
I’m Already a JAWS User – Why Would I Need Leasey?
Meet Leasey Advanced! Leasey Advanced provides you with a sophisticated set of tools to use your computer efficiently, saving you time and making life easier. So, as you grow in confidence, there’s still a lot she can do for you.
- Leasey Select. Easily select (or highlight) text within our supported computing applications without the need to continually hold down a number of Keys on the Keyboard including the Shift Key.
- LeaseyTexts. Reproduce phrases or paragraphs within seconds, either by selecting them from a list or create your own shorthand!
- LeaseyCuts. Locate folders, web pages and documents with incredible speed.
- LeaseyConnect. Your fully featured address book from where you can Email contacts, talk with them on Skype, tweet them on Twitter or simply type their postal address.
- Leasey Points. Easily find those important passages in documents or web pages.
- LeaseyAlerts. Do you find locating parts of websites difficult? Set a LeaseyAlert to set focus to them automatically.
- LeaseyTags. Move, copy or delete files and folders in Windows Explorer all at once. Tagged files can also be used to create audio playlists.
- LeaseySearch. Want to read the latest best-selling novel? Find books quickly and easily including those from RNIB Overdrive, Bookshare and Audible.
- LeaseyDiary. A simple, easy-to-use calendar that just works! You’ll never miss an appointment again.
- LeaseyClock. Comprehensive stopwatch, countdown timer and alarm functions, plus high quality (and fully customisable) Westminster chimes which can be heard throughout the day.
- LeaseySkype. Talking to your friends and family has never been easier. With Leasey, Skype is now so accessible! Easily find contacts to see if they are online,. Hear who is signing in and out of Skype, Quickly set your Mood Text, and much more!
- LeaseyAudio. Create playlists of songs from your music collection, arranging them in the order you want. Listen to them from start to finish or just a small selection. Go directly to your audio library. Play or stop the audio, adjust the volume, shuffle the playing order or skip through the music from any application! With CD’s, you can listen to them or even create them yourself.
- LeaseyRadio. Choose from hundreds of stations in 10 categories. Set favourites, assign presets and find out what’s in the LeaseyRadio top 10! You can also have your favourite stations added, read the currently playing song title and control playback from anywhere!
- Shortcut Keys. All options for the advanced user have logical shortcut keys which are quick and easy to press. If you have trouble remembering them, learn them from Hotkey Help or simply activate them from it! Leasey anticipates the kind of help you need or she will remember the task you were previously doing.
- Internet Updating! Leasey is frequently and quickly updated via the internet. Select “Check for Updates” and she will take care of the rest!
What Would You Like to Do? The Leasey Audio tutorial for Computer Beginners
It doesn't matter how easy a piece of software is to use. If you've never worked with a computer before, you will be concerned that you might make a mistake. You will not know even basic concepts such as how to edit text, what the subject line of an Email message means, or why web pages contain links and headings.
Obtaining quality computer training for many people is simply out of reach financially. But that does not lessen the need for a person to have it. That is why Leasey Total Package contains an audio tutorial which aims to encourage people to get to grips with computing concepts within the context of Leasey!
Co-Designer of Leasey Brian Hartgen has been teaching visually impaired people how to use the computer for close to 20 years, in the workplace, educational settings and within organizations concerned with rehabilitation. This is especially important since the concept of this audio tutorial is all about encouraging people to learn computing with a screen-reader for the very first time.
Brian gently guides listeners through the tasks many people will want to achieve with a computer. The guide, (containing over 4 hours of training), is divided into 15 chapters with sub-headings. Using a DAISY talking book player, it can be worked through systematically or used as a reference tool.
The DAISY book is ideal for playing in Voice Dream Reader, and many hardware and software digital talking book players. DAISY means it’s easy to set bookmarks in the book to come back to things you want to check out again.
The free FSReader that is built into JAWS will also play the DAISY book. FSReader (which interacts directly with Leasey) is an ideal tool to use if you want to follow along with the book on your PC. It’s universally accessible play/pause feature, accessed by pressing Control+P, means you can pause the tutorial without leaving the application in which you are working.
Purchasers of Leasey Total Package will have access to this useful resource which has 64 headings and two levels of navigation, so you can easily search for what you want quickly!
Table of Contents
- Introducing the screen-reader, Leasey and the computer keyboard.
- Getting to Know Leasey. Includes switching on the computer for the first time, what's on the Main Menu, moving through menus, locating menu items quickly, getting help.
- Creating a Document. Includes moving in and out of menus, naming a document, changing the rate of speech, typing text, moving through a document, basic screen-reading commands, changing the typing echo, working with the Leasey Application Menu, saving the document and closing down the computer.
- Working with Documents. Includes Opening a document, deleting a document, inserting text, deleting text.
- Selecting Text. Includes selecting text ready for deletion, cut, copy and paste.
- Final Word Processing Features. Includes changing the font style, printing a document, find and replace, inserting the date, spell checking, creating a letter based on a home address.
- LeaseyConnect. Includes creating LeaseyConnections, modifying LeaseyConnections, deleting LeaseyConnections.
- Using Email. Includes managing your mail, composing a new message, creating a new message from LeaseyConnect, keeping the Email program running while working with other tools, creating a LeaseyConnect entry based upon an Email you have received, closing down the Email program.
- The LeaseyClock. Includes the Stopwatch, the Countdown Timer, setting the alarm and customising the Westminster Chimes.
- The LeaseyDiary. Includes creating an appointment, viewing appointments, deleting appointments.
- LeaseyRadio. Includes listening to a station in a LeaseyRadio category, working with LeaseyRadio Favourites, managing LeaseyRadio presets, the LeaseyRadio top 10.
- LeaseyAudio. Includes creating a LeaseyPlaylist, listening to songs in a LeaseyPlaylist, adding to a LeaseyPlaylist, deleting a LeaseyPlaylist.
- Using the Internet. Includes an overview of the World Wide Web, searching for a website using Google, tips for navigating web pages, saving a webpage as a Leaseycut, browsing to a website directly, relocating web pages with LeaseyCuts.
- Getting Help. Includes Leasey Central, remote support, Check for Updates, what's new in Leasey, Leasey documentation.
Leasey Audio Demonstrations!
- Hear audio demonstrations of the product;
Please download any one of the demonstration copies of Leasey below. You can evaluate the product for up to 15 times of restarting JAWS for Windows.
We strongly encourage you to read the Leasey documentation(download below) very carefully first prior to downloading the demo. There are a number of setup requirements you need to make and it is essential that you follow every aspect of the documentation through thoroughly.
- Read Leasey's documentation;
- Download the Leasey Documentation in HTML format;
- Download the Leasey Documentation in RTF text format;
- Download the Leasey Documentation in DAISY format, text only;
- Hear the LeaseyBite Audio Tutorials;
- Find programs which work well alongside Leasey;
How Much Is Leasey?
- Leasey Total Package: $100, includes menus and help spoken by Leasey together with full Getting Started DAISY Talking Book for computer beginners. Ordering link at bottom of page.
- LeaseyAdvanced, $62. Contains access to all of Leasey’s tools, utilities and services, but Leasey will not speak using her own voice. The DAISY Getting Started guide is also not part of this package. Ordering link at bottom of page.
Leasey Mailing List!
The Leasey Email list is designed to allow users of the product to discuss any problems they may be having, together with suggesting ideas for features and improvement!
To join the list, simply send an Email message to firstname.lastname@example.org, without enterting any text into the Subject line or message body fields. That is all you need to get started!
To send a message to the list when you have joined, please send an Email to email@example.com.
Thank you for joining the Leasey Email list!
Leasey Version 8 is Released!
Hartgen Consultancy is pleased to release Leasey version 8. This is a major new release of the product which we hope you will enjoy. It contains new features and we expect to have many updates to come this year in the version 8 series which you will be entitled to receive as a Leasey 8 user.
This document contains details of the new features. It also contains help if you are upgrading from a previous version of Leasey and details of remote assistance if you have difficulty.
Each new feature is fully explained in our documentation. You can access the documentation online, in RTF format, DAISY Text and HTML.
There is a demonstration of each new feature in an audio tutorial through our LeaseyBites.
LeaseyBites are available through a link on every page of our web site, or by subscribing to a podcast feed from Apple's podcast service.
They are available on the BrailleSense, Humanware's Victor Reader products, Amazon and Audible.
WhatsApp is an ideal service for sending instant text or voice messages, making calls or sharing files. Last summer, Leasey included support for what is known as the WhatsApp Web client. Now, that support is provided to the Microsoft Store app. Having used it extensively, we know you can move around the application quickly and the Leasey support makes it super easy to work with. This really is the ideal time to give it a try!
Listen to the Audio Tutorial.
When searching for WhatsApp in the app store, you may prefer to search for "WhatsApp Beta". The official app works just fine, but there are some accessibility tweaks in the beta version and more are coming along every day. One was noticed this morning.
A group on WhatsApp has been created for those people who feel they may like a little assistance as this is a new platform for a number of us. To join, please let us know. We will then send you a link which you can activate so as to join the group.
Leasey Virtual Notes.
It is more than possible that you would like to work in one application while referring to notes in another one or within a series of applications. Here are some examples.
You may be writing a report in Microsoft Word, but you've made notes relating to a client which are stored in a text file which would typically be opened up in Notepad or another text editor. To get to those notes, you may have to press alt with tab a number of times to find it, especially if you have several applications open.
alternatively, you may be a person who does quite a lot of audio recording, and you need to read text which you have compiled from a number of documents or web page sources. You would need to start the recording, and then press alt tab often several times in order to move to the web page or document of interest.
a new feature in leasey version 8, called leasey virtual notes, makes referring to text a very easy process. You can stay within the primary application, such as Microsoft Word or your recording application, and still have access to your important text. It's a bit like a sighted person having two monitors side by side: one containing the document and the other displaying the text notes. Best of all, these notes can be from a variety of different sources.
Listen to the Audio Tutorial.
Mastodon Address Book.
Mastodon is a social network which has become popular in recent months. One of its attractions is that you can express yourself more fully, as some of the server providers allow you to send messages comprising thousands of characters. after all, if you have to condense a message into a small number of characters, this can lead to misunderstanding and frustration. But one problem can occur, and this relates to how to remember the different addresses of the people you would like to write to. Meet the Mastodon Address Book which can help.
Listen to the Audio Tutorial.
Mapping Folders to Drive Letters.
If you are fond of typing a folder path into the Windows Run, Open or Save As dialog boxes, you could find yourself entering something which is quite lengthy.
If the path to a folder location is reasonably difficult to get to, and you use it regularly, it would be good if you could save yourself some time in
order to save items there more quickly. A feature available in Leasey allows you to map folders to drive letters.
Listen to the Audio Tutorial.
The Leasey Start Menu.
This feature arose as a direct request from a number of customers.
The Leasey Start Menu serves two purposes. It allows you to access computing applications you may wish to frequently launch. But it also allows you to
open common utilities in Windows it may be more difficult to get access to. One could assume that such a feature is designed for computer beginners. However,
we already know that experienced users of JAWS are benefiting from it.
Listen to the Audio Tutorial.
Continuous Tagging in File Explorer.
Since version 1, Leasey has contained a feature called Leasey Tags.
LeaseyTags is an intelligent application which allows you to manage files within File Explorer.
For example, if you wanted to select files 1, 3 and 25 in a File Explorer list, perhaps for copying, cutting or deleting, this could be difficult. It can
be done using the keyboard but there is the potential for mistakes to be made. LeaseyTags makes this and other similar functions simple!
Leasey version 8 contains the ability to tag files in a continuous range. Activate the mode with Control+Windows+T. Then, press Down Arrow to tag files continuously. If you change your mind, and you wish to cancel tagging, press Escape.
Elegance for ElBraille and Focus Displays.
In some situations, we have found that pressing Enter to terminate Elegance mode on the Focus Braille display is not working correctly. Please try pressing Z-Chord instead.